I'll run your ass over, no problem. 

Monday, April 12, 2010

Livin' it up in Helper

I've been way too busy to write, but I'm going to take some time before I go to bed to update.

The people of Helper have been very helpful (just bear with me, I promise I won't use that pun again), and now I have a full house decorated. This is by far the biggest set I've done so far, and thanks to the kindness of the locs I've managed to have it almost finished two days before we actually start filming in there.

Today was the first day of filming, and we went out to the desert for a faux-fishing scene. Here's one of the only pictures I've had time to upload so far.


Here I am, at dawn in the Utah desert, getting ready to prep the actors to go fishing in the desert. It might look like I'm a bit heavier, but I'm wearing so many layers. I got a few compliments that I looked like the most stylish (and obviously delusional) fisher-woman within a 200 mile radius at least. I attribute that to the fabulous sweater I stole from my dad. He's owned it since the 1980s, so I figured it's time for me to snatch it. I'll return it if he misses it, but I don't think I've seen him wearing it since we left Romania.

Other than the cold in the morning and at night, so far it's been rather warm. I'm happy the cold broke before we got here, but there's still enough snow on the mountains to give the landscape some color. Seriously, this place is so brown, it amazes me that I've managed to find some beauty in all the sharp angular cliffs. I miss the lush stucco strip malls of the SFV and all the ironic plaid. Here, plaid is not a fashion statement, which is perhaps the most prominent reminder I am in farm land. About farm land - being vegetarian here is the equivalent of being a saint, as in...I feel like I'm fasting. I got a really intense stomach ache today that no amount of pink gooey pepto has been able to cure. I went digging through the cupboards at the brothel I'm staying in and found some vegetarian lentil soup, which has saved me from a long night of agonizing stomach pain. But my health isn't completely fucked just yet. So far I've been working for about a week and I have not smoked a single cigarette, which I consider a personal victory. If I make it through this shoot without smoking at all, I will reward myself somehow. The best reward would obviously be a cigarette but I'm trying to restructure my reward system. The booze situation is rather dire, but I think I'll survive until I make it back to Los Angeles.

That's all I am able to say for now. I have a very early call time tomorrow, so I need to go to sleep in order to wake up for a 6 am breakfast.

I miss L.A. dearly, but thankfully I really like this place. The people are sweet, the landscape is growing on me, and the food situation could be worse (but not by that much).

My best thoughts to everyone,
Yours truly,

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment