I'll run your ass over, no problem. 

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Needles to say, the previous weekend and this week have gone by way too fast. I just finished working on a student film (UCLA students have endangered my life on multiple occasions at this point), and now I'm finally catching up with my laundry, ironing my clothes, sending out mail, and talking on the phone with my friends. Blogging fits somewhere in this list, right in between getting my favorite pair of red pumps re-soled and taking the recycling out. On Wednesday, after a few days of getting my normal sleeping schedule back, I went on a nice drive with Dylan and we found a flying pig. A twin of the flying pig in Topanga Canyon. If you drive through Topanga Canyon you will know what I am talking about. Turns out there is one on Box Canyon Road too. Box Canyon is located off of Plummer (follow Plummer all the way north until it turns into Valley Circle Blvd., which splits into Box Canyon on the right. If one goes left, there's a very nice view of the Chatsworth Reservoir I believe.). Here's what Dylan and I found.

11:30 am. Bottle of wine still almost full. This bottle of wine did not end so well for me.
New Youth Correctional Center on Parthenia and Wilbur, right by the Metro Link/Dash Station. This is how I want Los Angeles County to rehabilitate its youth.

Box Canyon Road. Above is the Flying Pig.
Said Pig. A recent addition to this are the reflector eyes, and apparently this thing can also blow smoke out of its ass and snout.

Dome. Sat in it for a while.
Views from inside.



Surroundings

Artists responsible for the installations on Box Canyon Rd.
Chris, who came up with the ideas and sculpted the pieces.
Victor, who helped with the installations.


Chris and Victor told us a little bit about the objects in the area, and how they came to put up the pig in Topanga Canyon (I need to photograph it soon). We all hoped to meet again. I'm sure I'll go back during a Holiday or special event or something where Chris will make the pig breath fire. Either way, this is a valley spot definitely worth visiting again. Yay for flying pigs!

I have a few more posts to catch up with for the past week, including my time at the Natural History Museum on First Friday, and the rest of my valley adventures. Hopefully this week will give me more time to post. Until then, everyone be well and check back frequently!

Claudia

1 comment: